Saturday, December 13, 2008

Mullets for Jesus

There has not been much activity to comment on in my life the last couple of weeks, but it has been wonderful none the less.

We had a snow storm last week that lasted for a couple of hours, resulting in hundreds of vehicles in accidents and in the ditch and a 'Snow Day' for kids in school the next day (which seemed ridiculous to me since it was only -4 and an inch of snow). Everything melted within a day and returned to the +10.C weather once again. Returning to Winnipeg is becoming a more and more difficult concept to grasp as they face the daily -35 + windchill reality.

The woman that I am staying with (Gerry) had major surgery about a week ago and has been recovering at home. I have loved the opportunity to serve her and help take care of the things around the house. It has been such a blessing to be around her, in her home and to meet all of her wonderfully loving and generous friends. I have been able to learn so much simply by being around these incredible men and women and Gerry's recovery is going miraculously. Praise the Lord! It will be very sad to leave in just over a week, but visit are already being planned.

My prayer room time this week has been an on-an-off experience. I am having more and more difficulty staying alert and awake, so I am trying to get more sleep so that I can be fully engaged before the Lord. Talking with a friend on the phone this week, I tried to explain what it has been like and I was only able to offer a giggle and a "It's great!" I continue to be encountered by the Lord and receiving revelation in the Word like never before. My favourite thing to do now is to simply read Scripture! I have worked through most of the New Testament and read the Book of Revelation almost four times. I can't go through Isaiah enough times, and and I am daily reading the psalms as well. I praise God for this season of being in a Greenhouse, where I have the opportunity to simply sit in the fertile environment and grow as much as possible.

It is not always huge things that I am learning, but some of the most powerful times are when the Lord reveals tiny little things in my heart and speaks His truth over me. For example:

I was just in the prayer room and saw THE WORLDS BEST MULLET!!!!! Nothing so awesome has ever been seen by my eyes before. It super buzz-cut in the front, long (like to her waist!) in the back...plus, half-grown out bleached highlights!!!! I am not making fun at all. It seriously was so incredible, I just couldn't help staring at her. And, I had a major revelation!....
Jesus loves her so much! He loves the mullet, He loves her style, He loves that she just wants to stand before Him and worship. He thinks she is beautiful and would not change a thing about her.
This may not seem like a big deal, but in general, if I mean to or not, I judge people. In little ways, I make assessments of who they are based on how they look. God totally just used that mullet to show me how wrong it is to judge people. He has created all of us in His image and delights in our individual quirks. How beautiful it is that every kind of person, every walk of life and every hairstyle can come to Jesus and be loved unconditionally by Him, and are equal before His throne!
Never has a mullet been so beautiful!

You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.

It will not be long before I am home once again. What will this final week hold?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is the most unsettling thing i have ever read. not bad unsettling, but good unsettling. to think that God will love the people I judge (and I do! I judge!) to be less than cool, and he'll love the mullet people just as much as he loves everyone else.. phwoar.
love, allison.