Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Woman caught in adultery

Girls Camp is already half way through the first session of the summer and I'm reminded everyday why I love this job so much!  God uses summer camps to powerfully encounter and transform kids and young adults!

Every morning after breakfast we do something with the whole camp called "Table Talks," which are like a short Bible Study.  The theme that we are looking at in Girls Camp is "Encounter Jesus and be Transformed," so we look at a different Biblical character whose life was turned upside-down because of an encounter with Jesus.  Stephanie Goertzen and I have written monologues to go along with these stories that help to paint the picture of what might have been going on in the hearts and minds of these people as their lives changed radically.  Initially I thought to use some of the best known characters for these monologues, but I quickly changed my mind to focus on some of the unlikely people and decided to not shy away from issues that they might bring up like Nicodemus, Zaccheaus, the Samaritan woman, and Martha.

This is the poetic monologue I wrote for the story of the woman caught in adultery (John 8):

I am a woman
No longer with prominence
Without honor
A woman whose reputation cannot be recovered
My choices now stand trial
And my fate lies in the hands of these men
This crowd who hold the choice of life or death
Who already know the law
And how it will end

I cannot go back
It is too late now
I know I was wrong
I was foolish and arrogant to think
My sin wouldn’t be found out
To live innocent with a
Secret lurking in the shadows
You wouldn’t know by my face
But my heart betrayed me every time

To be with a man not my husband
To pretend and escape
This false-reality I created
Would one day be undone
Unraveled
Deserted
Exposed
A mistake


I cannot go back
It is too late now
For the weight of regret and shame 
Is death itself
Though the stones have not yet been thrown
I am sentenced in their eyes
My life and heart lie broken
Shattered in pieces
The deed already done

I had seen you before
For it’s hard not to recognize you
The country is abuzz with the sound of your name
Wondering at all You say You are
A healer
A Judge
Priest
Messiah
King?

But what will you say of me?
As acting judge to this crowd
Do you side with them and the law they represent?
Who will cast the first stone; You or them?
You bend down and I shrink away
And brace for the rock to hit

From my place in the dirt time moves on
And I lift my face to watch yours
Your lips move but no words are heard
Your hands move in the soil and words emerge

“Who is without sin and condemns her now?”
These words echoing with power to the core of hearts
From their sandaled feet the wise leave first
And the young slowly follow
Without lifting my head I know only you remain
From the dust
Your words breathe Life


I cannot go back 
It is too late now
To alter the past or erase the stains
But I can go forward
And leave the sin behind
Choosing life and truth
From now on living differently
Not the same but changed

Fully loved
Fully free
Not condemned but redeemed
Not struck down but esteemed
Not disgraced but clean
Living new in Him
Clinging to His words
Seeing and believing like never before
“I condemn you not.
Go. And sin no more.”



This woman's story has struck a chord in my heart and has been resounding like an echo in all that I have done this week.  I'm not sure exactly what God is speaking to me about, but I'm glad we get to tell her story to this generation of young woman this summer.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Well written!

Lanney said...

That is beautiful Janelle! Thanks for sharing.