Wednesday, September 15, 2010

my TOMS

Sitting on the back dock at camp, texting with my Mom one early morning this May.

 I have been a fan of TOMS shoes for quite awhile, and now that they are becoming very popular (seen in most fashion magazines, ads on the internet, and in fundraiser events with celebrities all over the world), I just wanted to say I will continue to be a huge fan and supporter but not because of the hype they are getting.

The fact aside that I think they're really cute shoes, it's the mission of the company that holds my heart.  The TOMS slogan, "One for One," sums it up - purchase one pair of shoes, and a pair of shoes will be given to a child in need.  Simple.  Beautiful.

I needed to be reminded of that.

I spent some time out with friends from SHOP at the Guse farm a couple weeks back, and while a group played soccer and the kids were running around the yard, I grabbed my camera and took some shots.  Seeing the beautiful smiles and hearing the joyful sound of laughter, I was reminded of why I wear these shoes.  It's about letting a kid be a kid who just runs around carefree.

I think it was little Anna who begged to use my iPhone to take photos too, especially of me taking pictures!  I think we have another photographer on our hands.



Check out http://www.toms.com/ and http://www.tomsshoes.ca/ for more info and to order your own pair that will help give a smile to a child in need.

No comments: