Enjoying my first spring/summer in the city includes discovering and enjoying the things that I love about my downtown neighbourhood. For some, this it is considered a 'rough' area of town, definitely sentenced to a bad reputation, but I uncover new things everyday that I love about this community, and become more and more convinced that I would like to stay in this area for a very long time. Let me share with you some of the top reasons I love the West Broadway and Wolseley are of Winnipeg.
Reason #1: Cafe's and Bakery's


This community is packed full of precious and irresistible holes-in-the-wall to pick up the best bread, baking and latte's in Winnipeg! My favourite, for more than one reason, not the least of which being that it is two blocks from my front door, is
Stella's Bakery. Either sitting on historic church pews and vintage sewing-machine stools inside, or on wooden benches at bistro tables on the sidewalk, this is the perfect place to speak deeply with a friend, find inspiration for writing, or have the best seat to people-watching. I have to admit and take some responsibility for getting many other people addicted to this spot as well.
Reason #2: Trees
The streets lined with well-aged oak and elm trees make canopy's of foliage like big green umbrellas. Looking out my bedroom window puts me eye-level with dense leafy branches, and it's all I can see up and down the street for blocks. This is a neighbourhood that passionately fights for any and all the "green causes" with gusto, greatly influenced by their surroundings and making it a breathtaking place to live.
Reason #3: Gardens and Compost
Speaking of things green, recycling and composting are causes highly championed in this area, with community gardens and composting places every couple of blocks, transforming empty lots into beautiful, life-giving spaces. This is the one on our block:

Vintage chairs and rocking horses invite the community to congregate and enjoy this little garden together, and encourage the whole family to get involved.
More reasons and pictures to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment