Sunday, April 20, 2008

Mr. McKinnon and Lady Scarlett

I am leaving again. It always feel like I am leaving or arriving somewhere. Stability is not a huge reality in my life right now nor in the near future, unless you count my faithful suitcase - good ol' Lady Scarlett. (yes, I did name my suitcase...becasue a)she's huge and red and deserves a name for that and b)I wanted my travelling partner to have somewhat of an identity)

Lady Scarlett is sitting beside me on my floor, a massive Tupperware bin is filled with books and a pile of clothes has taken my room hostage. I love this and hate this. Which old t-shirts are going to make it on the trip this time? So that I don't have to rent a pack mule, which books are going to make the cut? You know how many lotions I have to choose from?!

I leave for 'the island' next monday....8 days and counting. MacKinnon Island will be called home for five months as we rock another camp season of fun and adventure. I have been preparing my body for living in a secluded wilderness by weaning myself off showering and I am up to five days without washing my hair. Yes, I feel greasy but it is reality and it kind of makes life easier...so much less to worry about! I think the longest I have gone is two weeks without shampooing my hair and I am going for a new record this summer. Aren't you glad you won't be there to witness it? :)

Though I have been at camp for other summers, this will be the first as the Associate Director of Program. The title seems so official, but what it means is that I focus on the spiritual formation, leadership development and the mentoring of our staff to see them empowered and equipped to minsiter to the campers and step up to be leaders at camp and in the rest of the their lives. I am there to take care of and love those people who are sacrificing their summers to come to an island in the middle of nowhere to learn about Christian community, be challenged in their faith and see lives transformed through the power of the Spirit of God.

I truly believe that these staff can leave from an experience at camp and go and change the world. This is an amazing place.

And after the adventure on the BigMac.....Kinnon, October holds another journey and move....this time to Kansas City, Missouri. I will fill you in as the time gets closer, but it is going to be amazing and then Lady Scarlett and I will make it back to Winterpeg for winter #23 to join a community house in the inner-city before making the trek to re-connect with Mr. MacKinnon next May once again.

I hope the ol' lady can hold out. She's pretty durable...and if not, she will make a great toboggan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lady Scarlett is a cool name. Though from my English IB classes, scarlett gives a whole new meaning :P Anyways, I hope you have an AMAZING time at camp :) I know you'll have internet but you'll prob. be busy a lot! The campers and staff are blessed to have you over look them in terms of spiritual transformation and their overall well-being. Continue to seek God on your own time (which I need to strengthen on, myself) as He is the only one that can keep you going on the 5 month journey :D Oh, and use Glysomed or Aveeno. I find they do the best for me! (I have very dry hands by nature). God bless and use shampoo...don't torture them kids! Hehe!

catherine said...

if she doesn't hold out... does she float?
I will be there to witness your hair, roomie! I once went 3 months without shampooing it, and after a couple weeks of grossness, it actually looked relatively normal if I brushed it lots every day.