Friday, May 30, 2008

Time Out

Sometimes my words just don't come out the way I would like them to.
When explaining to a friend about why I was spending a couple of days in Winnipeg, I said I was having a Time Out....

I have not had a Time Out in ages and maybe it was about time that I did.  It definitely allowed me to step off the island for a couple of days, have a change of scenery and people, and be refreshed in my perspective and energy.  It was a wonderful time of connecting with friends and family; simply spending my time around people who make me feel good.  A Time Out offered me a chance to really think about what I am doing and why.

And I did not come out of it with any profound revelation or insight, but just a reassurance that this is exactly where God wants me, that He has me in the palm of His hand, that His Spirit is going before me and desires to move at camp this summer.  If anything, I am more excited about living at camp, being a part of an intense, intentional Christian community of young people and inviting children to come and experience God through fun and adventure.  This is an incredible place and an overwhelming blessing to feel Christ's peace in my calling here.

I couldn't wait to get back to the island and see everyone.

This week was difficult for the staff with a large school here who went on over-night canoe trips, leaving most people totally exhausted.  Being tired and living in community means that colds and flu's travel fast, so many people have slept all weekend and are now beginning to recover.  We could use prayer for the continued healing of the staff and for protection for the health of all who are on the island.  Thankfully, it is a quiet weekend and we do not have to host a large group.

Another prayer request would be for us staff who are leaving early tomorrow for a ten day river canoe trip - for safety, protection, and growth in relationships with God and each other.  Eight of us will be on the Turtle River for whitewater training and LIT (Leaders In Training) preparation. I am so excited I can barely contain it!!! I love canoe trips and this will be my first time doing rapids.  I will post reflections and pictures when I return from the trip...just in time for another Time Out in the city.


3 comments:

Kristi said...

Have a great canoe trip! Great to see you out on Tuesday!

Janelle said...

Thanks Kristi. See you soon.

Lanney said...

Hey Janelle! Have an awesome time on your trip!! I can't wait to see pictures. By the way I think "a time out" was a great explination :)