Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tornados, Ugly Runners and Disc Golf

There is a tornado siren right outside of the parking lot at the Missions Base that I am looking at from the cafe and kind of wish that I was here during tornado season. How cool would that be? I wonder what the siren sounds like? Would I even recognize it to be a warning?  I have never heard a tornado siren so would I think that it was just an emergency vehicle driving past or a car alarm?

During a lot of the intercessions sets, teams sing and pray about "sounding the alarm" from Joel 2:1: "Blow the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in My holy mountain!  Let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the LORD is coming, for it is at hand."  With all that is happening in the world, the current economic disaster in the States and the elections taking place in North America, I was made to wonder if I sometimes miss the sound of the alarm.  Maybe we haven't heard it before so it is a foreign sound that we ignore, or perhaps it is so familiar that we simply tune it out, and perhaps we are living in a time when the trumpet is beginning to sound.  Seeing the big tornado horn at the top of the pole today reminded me to become more attuned to what God is doing in the earth, and to pay attention to what is happening. 

I am trying to make the most of the beautiful fall days here.  Even though it has rained the last couple of days, I still walk everywhere and just pull out the 'ol rain gear (which has the ever present, familiar and nostalgic drybag and fire scent clinging to the fabric).  I'm going to be in good shape at the end of this! I think I probably walked about 5 or 6 miles yesterday, up and down the hilly neighbourhood right around the Prayer Room...wearing the shoes...So, I took a pair of runners that mom had an extra set of...which I am very thankful for because they were free, but they just aren't the cute kind I would like....and they are a little bit too small for me. Because I walk everywhere I need to wear them, but they just make me feel like a power-walking mom who's trying to get rid of the baby fat from kid number six while her oldest kids are in school....hey wait, what am I complaining about?  That is the look I want to go for!!!! I should totally invest in mom jeans already and get a head start!

I am off to play some disc golf with Christina and some of her friends...who I don't know yet.  I've never played disc golf but I am pretty confident that it will be an embarrassing experience. So, here I go.  I will let you know what happens!
 


1 comment:

Jeremy Perrott said...

Our office is quieter this week. Just me tapping away on the keyboard. Don't worry, I havent taken over your desk with my papers - yet. Thanks for the post. Live it up!