Most of the things that I have gotten into during my life have been for one or two reason:
1) To try to fit in
2) To try to be different and stand out
I would become involved in activities, interests, groups of people, ways of thinking - in "phases," because I wanted to fit into my family or friend group, or because I didn't feel like I fit in, to go the total other direction and stand out so that I would get attention for being different.
I remember some years, particularly in my "dark, depressed, cave days" in university, I did not like anything. It would be impossible for me to make decisions at a restaurant because I truly did not know what I liked to eat. I would not want to do any social activity or hobby because I could not think of a single thing I would like to do. I never bought new clothes because I didn't like anything that was in the mall...not a single thing, so I wore the same pair of sweat pants for my whole degree. Gross, yes, but you do what you got to do.
Thankfully, God chose to have a different testimony come from my life! Over the last couple of years, through the power of the redemption of Christ by His salvation and gift of the Holy Spirit, my heart, mind and emotions have been apart of a healing process that looks more like a total overhaul. Long way to go still? YES! But man am I excited to love things and find new things that I like all the time!
My brother told me this week that I was funny. I like that! (One of the best compliments ever, especially when it comes from a 16yr. old boy)
My sister said that she noticed I have been really happy and fun to be around the last couple months. I love that!They for sure would not have said that a year or two ago. They did not want to go near me, especially when I was a student and feared coming near my bedroom - I was like a troll in a cave, and if I ever came out, you better be hiding or far far away! I actually enjoy doing things now, and can finally choose what I would like to order off a menu, though I do have a default setting where I really ever get chicken fingers and fries. I even suggest activities that would be fun because I finally know what I like, and not just what other people like or how I can just be different. Now that is testimony of what Jesus can do when we surrender, and allow Him to bring healing and freedom...He releases JOY! I will continue on this path because it is way better than disliking everything in and around you.
Here's a sample list that I put together in 2 minutes of things I really, genuinely like right now:
(I have a tendency to say that each one of these "is, like, my favourite thing in the whole world"... I'm a little passionate now about liking and loving things, what can I say?)


1 comment:
Thanks so much for sharing Janelle! Good post and good list. :)
Post a Comment