Jokingly on campus yesterday, some students and I off-offhandedly discussed the face of most of the evangelical church culture in North America, determining that Jesus really likes Venti Starbucks beverages and has an iPhone4.
I admit (and should probably confess) to contributing greatly to that general stereotype. I have weekly staff meetings at the SBux location down the street, where three of us sit, with drinks in hand, for hours with three iPhones on the table, sometimes we pull out the Bible, or at least open our App for that. Without a work area in my room until recently, a Chapters SBux location was dubbed "my office," where I met with friends, students, supporters, read, emailed, worked on "things," sometimes being productive.
It may be true of other cities other than Winnipeg, but Starbucks locations across the city are largely staffed by trendy, Christian young adults who get to say "hi" to their pastors and leaders on a weekly basis and recognize the regular church folk whom they see more often in the cafe than in the foyer on Sunday mornings. They serve the Christian community their caffeine, as they work their way through college degrees, or more appropriately through the years of "figuring out what God wants me to do with my life." I know many of these barristas, and truly like and appreciate them, thinking they are some of the coolest people, and that God will, and does, work through them in their workplaces. I have a theory about Sbux barristas and the future of the prayer/missions movement in North America... but that is for another time....
I also have a theory about spending less time "hanging out" in Sbux...but that is a work in process...
And there is that unread apologetics book on my self for years, "When God Goes To Starbucks" or the inspirational, "Gospel According to Starbucks: Living with a Grande Passion"... Which brings us neatly back to Jesus consuming large doses of caffine while staying on top of his social networks via the latest Apple technology...
But today, God showed me that sometimes He does go to Starbucks.
Here's the proof:
A year ago, I arranged a sweet set up at a corner window table in the cafe. Grande Mocha light-water Americano Misto: Check! MacBook Pro: Check! Earbuds: Check! Worn leather NKJV Bible: Check! iPhone3GS: Check! Coil-bound journal: Check! Scarf: Check! I was geared up for some serious God-time/work/fellowship. Friends and staff members came and went as I scheduled their allotted appointments. Refill. Check Twitter. Flip to Ephesians. Flip to Psalms. Flip to the maps.
A girl studying at the "accessible table" justifiably needed the extra table-top space to spread out the giant high-level Calculus and Physics textbooks, in French!, and to litter the floor with bags for books and work-out clothes. We had exchanged some polite half-smiles throughout the afternoon when we caught each other blankly staring off before quickly looking down and feigning focused productivity.
Finally, she initiated conversation. Having overheard some comments from my meetings, she made connections to having similar interests. I countered with a remark on her intense and impressive study burden. We exchanged some general remarks, trying not to raise our voices too loudly over the tables between us. Something flashed through my mind for half-a-second. "Go over there and talk to her." I ignored it. Classic.
Re-considering, I went and sat down with her instead of contemplating another drink fix. My heart beat rapidly, possibly because of the caffeine overdose, or maybe because of uncertainty of what God was asking of me. We talked easily for a long time. We had much in common, and realized all the 3-Degrees of separation between us. She shared openly about her life, and some of the hard questions going around in her head and heart. I recognized the stirrings of the Holy Spirit, and thankfully chose this time to listen and obey. I told her some of my testimony; where God has taken me from and the journey of healing, freedom, deep relationship and true joy that I was on. Tears came easily on both sides, and I weakly offered to pray for her. Taken aback by her approval, I prayed simply and unknowingly, just hoping that God was doing His thing.
She had to leave to get to the gym or to work or to class or to get away or something. I went and packed up my office and went home. Honestly, I didn't really think much more about it. Not that I didn't care about the girl, or thank God for the opportunity to step out of my comfort zone a bit and hopefully act obediently to His invitation, but this was not the only time this has happened to me. There have been other opportunities at Starbucks, and other places, to respond to the still, small Voice, that encouraged me to step out of my "Christian-Hipster Bubble" and actually obey to living out the Kingdom (in very little ways) and talk or pray with people. I just chalked this up as another practice run for bigger opportunities to come. Plus, I never saw any of those people again, and definitely never heard of God doing anything because of those moments. To be honest again, I didn't have any faith that it really meant anything.
Imagine my surprise and stinging pride when I received a forwarded email about a month ago from one of those common-friends of the girl in the Sbux months earlier! It read:
Would you by chance have Janelle's mailing information for me? I had the most inspirational talk with her at a coffee shop last year that really got my life back on track and I was hoping to get in touch with her this Christmas season.
Today, I had the opportunity of meeting once again with her, though not at a Sbux, where we spent hours talking, sharing about life, and I got to hear about what God has been doing in her life. She is a noticeably different person and choosing to live differently since I saw her last winter. My heart beat wildly, this time not because of a caffeine high, but because I know God was speaking to me again and showing me a picture of what He can do when I stop just focusing on my coffee cup, look up and act when He speaks. He was telling me about the greatness of His grace, salvation and love despite my lack of faith. It was a rare, divine moment, where God let me see a bit of His bigger picture and plan, and how my obedience is important.
Thankfully, God goes to Starbucks, even when I don't recognize Him or have faith that He can do anything!
*Note: Please know that I am not trying to make any kind of statement against Starbucks, or Christians going to Starbucks, or Christian young people trying to figure out what they are supposed to do with their lives while working at Starbucks, or doing your daily Bible reading plan on your iPhone while at Starbucks. Blessings on you if you fall into any or all of those categories. Blessings on you if you don't fall into any of those categories. May God's Spirit rest upon you wherever you go, and in whatever conversations you have. May you bear the image of Christ and be a light to the world. Have faith.

No comments:
Post a Comment