The Lord brought us together over three years ago at a Onething Regional conference held in Winnipeg, where I heard about the International House of Prayer for the first time, had my first taste of the prayer movement, first saw a picture of people my age living radical loves abandoned to Jesus like I never could have imagined, and when my heart first was awakened to the calling on my life as an intercessor. Christina was the one, while at the book table, who gently and patiently began to explain and walk me through what I was experiencing in the place of prayer and worship during the conference, what the heck "harp and bowl was," why a 24/7 expression of prayer and worship was important in a city, and invited me to come check out Sanctuary House of Prayer. October 28, 2007 was my first Sunday at SHOP. My life has not been the same since. That weekend put me on a trajectory I could never have imagined, to eventually have me spend time living at IHOP, coming on staff with SHOP, being a full-time intercessory missionary, and becoming best friends with Christina.
The Lord blessed me with a season of living at IHOP-KC in the fall of 2008, where as it would turn out, Christina was doing an internship/training semester and was already rooming in the same home I moved into. It was that fall semester at IHOP that the Lord had us get to know each other, where I would pepper her with questions and doubts about the end-times and book of revelation (which again, she gently and patiently walked me through, pointing me mostly to seek out the Lord in prayer and Scripture about those issues), knit our hearts together as friends and sister in Christ as we drank QT iced-coffees and walked around the plaza, and set up the next couple of years of journeying together in Winnipeg. As much as that season was for us individually to spend time alone in the presence of God and be transformed by the Word, it was also for the formation of an integral friendship that would prove to be a major way that He worked in my life. Christina has been one of those rare friends that come to us in life that know the good, the bad, the really ugly, and help keep God's perspective first and foremost no matter what either of us looks like in the moment. She shines with the beauty and love of Jesus all the time.
| My first weekend living in KC in 2008. Christina brought me along with some of her Commission classmates to try "disc golf" for the first...and last time. |
![]() |
| I'm guessing this was during a meal out with SHOP friends who came to visit IHOP while Christina and I were down there. Can't exactly remember. |
![]() | ||||
| Christina's last day of her Commission term Nov 2008. We were sad to say goodbye that day too. |
We have spent much time in Kansas City together from living there in fall 2008, to numerous trips over the past two years. Now she will be there for good, and I will have a place to stay in when I come! I say farewell to Christina as she moves to Kansas City to be a part of the International House of Prayer and work at a hospital part time with hope in my heart and prayers on my lips as she faithfully steps in line with the will and calling of God. Skype dates are already planned, and trips to see her in the works for the next couple of months. It won't be the same, but I bless her and admire her faithfulness and abandon to the voice of the Good Shepherd.
There are no other words that I can say, so it is here when Michael W. Smith says it best (Definitely sang this loudly feeling like a 7 year old again listening to the cassette tape in my kitchen, teared up while doing so, laughed, and then wrote it in a farewell encouragement card. Christina and I both laughed when I gave it, sang a line together, hugged and said goodbye tonight):
Packing up the dreams God planted
In the fertile soil of you
I can't believe the hopes He's granted
Means a chapter of your life is through
But we'll keep you close as always
It won't even seem you've gone
'Cause our hearts in big and small ways
Will keep the love that keeps us strong
And friends are friends forever
If the Lord's the Lord of them
And a friend will not say never
'Cause the welcome will not end
Though it's hard to let you go
In the Father's hands we know
That a lifetime's not too long
To live as friends
And with the faith and love God's given
Springing from the hope we know
We will pray the joy you live in
Is the strength that now you show
We'll keep you close as always
It won't even seem you've gone
'Cause our hearts in big and small ways
Will keep the love that keeps us strong
| Us getting ready to head into one of the last Awakening meetings at the FCF building, during a trip to IHOP in October for Christina's interview at the hospital. |


2 comments:
This is beautiful Janelle. Christina, you will be greatly missed. And you've been such a blessing in my life. Not goodbye, but, see you soon.
You are so sweet Janelle, what a beautiful post! I love you and I'm soooo thankful for your friendship!
mwah!
Post a Comment