Entry 2: A picture of you and the person you have been closest with the longest
Easy.
My sis. Or as we call each other, "Sister sister."
For almost 23 years, either in the same house or not, she is my best friend. Though I see her maybe only once a week, texting or calling occasionally, we have always been close. There were a couple of years there where it was a little unclear if we would make it liking each other, let alone even wanting to be in the same room. We must have been 5 or younger, when I once got upset with her for taking a Barbie or not doing exactly what I wanted her to, so I hit her. Not missing a beat, she bit my bum. Pretty sure we got spanked. That's how I remember it going down, or at lease the story I made up in my head to tell mom. Then again, most of my childhood is one hazy recollection, and it's Michelle (or Meech as I call her), who reminds me of stories, adamantly insisting that I was present there even if I don't remember.
I definitely threw my weight around as the eldest, making her play only the games I wanted to, only allowing the dolls to say what I wanted them to, and getting the first crack at the best dress up clothes. One of our favourite games was playing "Wedding." I would chose the prettiest lace table cloths or fabric pieces out of the linen closet and Meech could have the leftovers. She didn't argue. I would get to play with my prized "flower-girl accessories" from when I was 3, and Meech had to do with whatever we could find, like the large basket centrepiece that was as big as she was. And she didn't argue.
I knew she looked up to me, and I often used that to my advantage. However, years later, I recognized what a honor that was, how blessed I was by her, and that I wanted to be a good role model. More than that, over the years, I have learned to look up to her as a beautiful, confident woman of God, who has a heart the size of Africa (where she dreams of doing mission work with children). The Lord blessed us by having us be in the same family, but more so, as sister in Christ who get to spend eternity together loving Jesus....how wonderful to have a "Sister sister."
No comments:
Post a Comment